Are You Praying For Yourself?

This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may get compensated. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click HERE for my disclosure policy.

"Scripture quoted by permission. All scripture quotations, unless otherwise indicated, are taken from the NET Bible® copyright ©1996-2016 by Biblical Studies Press, L.L.C. All rights reserved.".

this post may contain affiliate links. view our disclosure policy here

When you pray, do you pray for yourself?

I have a long list of people, situations and things I pray for, but I often forget to pray for me.

I put myself on the back burner of my prayer life.

My prayer wall is covered in taped letters and notes. I read and pray with clinched fists over each one.

I remind myself of God’s word and promises. I let the scriptures soak in my heart and thoughts as I spend this time with God. Oh, do I enjoy this time with my Savior!

But all too often, for whatever reason, I do not pray in depth for myself.

The guilt of praying for yourself. You do not have to feel bad for praying for yourself.

OK, maybe I do know the reason. It’s guilt.

I feel guilty for praying for myself.

I don’t know when or why I started feeling this way, but it’s there. Quietly whispering that I’m being selfish and should be lifting others up first and more so.

I know guilt and shame isn’t from our Heavenly Father. It is high time I deal with this issue.

What’s the best way to deal with a problem? In prayer and the Holy scriptures, of course!

Our best example for us to look at is Jesus himself. He often withdrew from the crowds to pray. (Luke 5:16)

In the model prayer that Jesus gives in Matthew 6:5-13, we are shown to ask for our daily needs and forgiveness of sins as well as seek help to forgive others.

I’m reminded in Psalm 34:18 and Psalm 147:3 that God is near the broken hearted.

Revelation 21:4 speaks of God’s loving gentleness in wiping away our tears. That is such a loving, endearing moment of God sharing and healing our pain.

Should You Pray For Yourself?

As women, wives, moms, ministry leaders, and business owners – our schedule is full. We cannot fully give of ourselves the way God would want us to if we are not first filled up with Him.

God does not reject prayers for ourselves.

He does turn away from prayers of conceit and selfishness.

I now fully believe that I cannot fully give of myself to God, if I am not praying for myself in biblical fashion.

I can humbly but boldly come to our Heavenly Father with thanksgiving, laying at His feet my petitions. (Hebrews 4:16 & Philippians 4:6)

Next time the enemy whispers guilt and shame in my ears I will fight back with the scriptures that tell me the truth. The truth being God wants me to talk to Him, trust Him, rest in Him, believe in Him and pray to Him. All without guilt and shame.

Ladies, let’s remember God thrills to hear our voices!

You pray for you.

Blessings,

Starla J.

photo source

Check out these articles!

Spread the love

29 Comments

1. HungryForGod (Andi)

February 22, 2016 at 2:23 am

don't feel bad – i'm always praying for myself too 🙂

2. Jessica West

February 22, 2016 at 2:50 am

Great post and was very relatable. Thank you

3. Cara Grandle

February 22, 2016 at 2:59 am

Good reminder. And I love the clean white-space feel of your blog. And I love that you linked dropped with author4TheAuthor. Nice. Nice for me. hahaha. I do need the reminder too.

4. Hi, I'm Susannah!

February 22, 2016 at 3:02 pm

What a great reminder. It's not selfish to pray for ourselves. The Lord absolutely desires that we do.

5. Masshole Mommy

February 22, 2016 at 3:02 pm

I am not a religious person, so I am not praying for myself. Glad you found something that works for you, though.

6. Mom Knows Best

February 22, 2016 at 4:42 pm

I forget to pray for me. God says we do not have because we dont ask.

7. Traci Rhoades

February 22, 2016 at 5:53 pm

In the past few years, I've learned a lot about how powerful and important prayer is in our lives. May we pray for ourselves more and more! A good reminder here.

8. Colette S

February 22, 2016 at 5:53 pm

I do pray for myself. I need God's divine help in everything I do.
    Great article!

9. Laurie Irion

February 22, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Nice post. It's important to think of yourself sometimes

10. Heather Jones

February 22, 2016 at 7:34 pm

I do forget to pray for me often. Sometimes I feel like I should pray for others and just let God decide how to handle me. LOL.

11. Rhiannon Rae

February 22, 2016 at 8:57 pm

I had this mindset for a long time as well Starla. Somehow God changed it and I now realize no one can go to war for things in my life like I can. Jesus said, ask and it will be given, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened." If we never ask God or intercede for our lives who knows what we might miss out on. Great post!

12. Clare Speer

February 22, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Great reminder… I do pray for myself and others on my prayer list! Thanks for this and I believe God wants us to cry out to Him for prayer for ourselves, too1

13. burlap+blue

February 22, 2016 at 10:28 pm

LOVE this! God wants to intercede on our behalf just as much as he wants to help those we love!

14. oftheash

February 23, 2016 at 2:39 am

I actually have been cultivating this for the year. I've longed to build the intimacy that comes through regular prayer. I sometimes struggle to pray for those outside of my immediate circle of influence. Great post. It's good to see that the Body is made up of many different parts.

15. Elizabeth O.

February 23, 2016 at 2:40 am

I'm not sure, I just talk to God often in my thoughts, especially when something good happens in my life. That's my version of praying. I pray for others too and that's something that I don't want to miss out.

16. Jennifer DeFrates

February 23, 2016 at 2:40 am

I was terribly sick this weekend, AGAIN. I'm beat and I'm frustrated. I finally broke down in my War Room and prayed for myself. Not just for patience or strength, but actually for healing. To have more days of feeling better. To have a chance to get productive. But I don't generally pray like that for myself. And God convicted me of it. Thanks for affirming what I heard Him direct in my heart. Why wouldn't I pray for my own struggles once in awhile? Silly me, of course He wants to hear my hurts.

17. ConciergeLibrarian

February 23, 2016 at 3:49 pm

I never forget to pray for myself..I try to strike that balance where I do not get selfish and just pray for myself and not others

18. Lexie Lane

February 23, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Love this post. So inspiring and relatable. I will save this!

19. ana de jesus

February 23, 2016 at 3:50 pm

I am not religious but my aunty says she regularly prays for me x

20. Top5life

February 23, 2016 at 3:51 pm

The post looks good. But, what I feel is you do your job and God will reward you in his own way.

21. Tam @ TravellingBookJunkie

February 23, 2016 at 5:43 pm

I don't tend to pray fullstop – perhaps I need to start!

22. Claudette P. Esterine

February 23, 2016 at 7:50 pm

I pray for myself all the time with no guilt.

23. [email protected]

February 23, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Glad you found something that works for you.

24. healthiersteps

February 23, 2016 at 11:58 pm

Wow, I pray for myself constantly but I also pray for my family and friends. I consider that I'm speaking to Jesus as a friend so I pour my heart out to Him about what I'm going through.

25. Home Jobs by MOM

February 24, 2016 at 1:11 am

I pray for myself occasionally. I regularly pray for my family though.

26. Marielle Altenor

February 24, 2016 at 2:43 am

I don't really pray for myself but I always say thank you when I pray. For guiding me, for protecting me.

27. Healing Tomato

February 24, 2016 at 5:38 pm

I think if it works for you, then you should pray for yourself. There is nothing wrong with that.

28. Ana

February 24, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Great reminder! sometimes I feel guilty but I guess praying for me is as important as praying for my family and friends

29. Eileen Kelly

February 25, 2016 at 6:23 pm

We are as important as those we pray for – so Yes I do pray for me too :)!