Feelings are Not Facts

This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may get compensated. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click HERE for my disclosure policy.

What Does the Bible say about our Feeling?

What does the Bible say about our feelings and emotions? Our feelings. Are they valid?

Are they something to rule our lives? Are they something that should guide our decisions?

Our feelings can change at the drop of a hat, tune of a song or embrace of a friend. Can we trust our own feelings, allowing them to guide our decisions, if they are so quickly changing?

Scripture On Managing Our Emotions

What does the bible say about our feelings?

Why did God give us our emotions?

In Proverbs 28:26 it tells us if we trust in our hearts we are fools. Proverbs 12:15 says the way of the fool is right in his own eyes.

God gave us our feelings and emotions. They are not evil by themselves, but what we allow our thoughts to dwell on may be negative and causing an unhealthy overload of negative emotions.

Our feelings can be, at times, scary, confusing and even dangerous to our health. Strong, evil emotions may lead to adultery, abusive behaviors, stealing and other evils.

At other times they may be full of love, happiness, joy and peace.

Sharing our feelings with others is helpful in managing emotions. The Christian life is not meant to be lived alone. God has given us the gift of other believers who can share our burdens and whose burdens we share (Romans 12; Galatians 6:1–10; 2 Corinthians 1:3–5; Hebrews 3:13). Fellow believers can also remind us of God’s truth and offer new perspective. When we are feeling discouraged or afraid, we can benefit from the encouragement, exhortation, and reassurance other believers provide. Often, when we encourage others, we ourselves are encouraged. Likewise, when we are joyful, our joy usually increases when we share it.

Got Questions

Can a Person Control Their Emotions

I don’t believe God intended for our feelings to guide us. He wants that job. God wants to be our guide. Our feelings should not be what drives our decisions, but more of an indicator of whats going on inside us.  We must put our trust in what God says and check our feelings at the door with the Word of God.

We live in a world where you can do whatever “feels right” to you as long as you are not hurting anyone else. I think it’s important to set aside our feelings, search the scriptures and seek the voice of God in our decision making.

Not allowing our decisions to be the drive behind us, but the pursuit of Christ and His truth be what we base our decision making against.

Your Emotions are a Gauge, Not a Guide

It will be for our best interest if we learn how to handle our feelings. Responding well. Let’s try to remember Philippians 4:8  and 2 Corinthians 10:5 when dealing with my feelings and thought process.

Philippians 4: KJV “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”

2 Corinthians 10:5 KJV “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.”

Sometimes I can’t help the way I feel, but I can help how I react to those feelings. I can submit them to God and His will for my life. Choosing to respond in a way that is based off God’s truth for my life and the situation. By doing that I’m honoring God. Intentionally putting faith over my feelings.

There is a bible verse or bible story for what you are feeling or going through. Search the scriptures, renew your mind by reading God’s word and choose to let what God’s word says to guide you.

Live By Faith Not Feelings

Our thoughts are what triggers our feelings. Our feelings are very real, but can be based or triggered by a negative, overthinking, thought process instead the truth.

When we find ourselves going through a hard time and the walls are closing in with no light at the end of the tunnel. Anxiety. Fear. Grief. Anger. All those emotions can be overwhelming. Crashing in on us. Those are the moments when God reminds us to not be afraid, focus on His truth and rest in Him.

How do you recover from a life marked by Fear? Overwhelmed by emotions? Prayer and God’s Word. Together it’s like a dynamite, destroying the strongholds the enemy hangs heavy on our necks.

What Does the Bible Say About Emotions?

Jesus, God in the flesh, experienced a wide range of emotions during his 33 years on this earth.  Scripture tells us what He felt and experienced, specifically, during his three-year public ministry. And while we might tend to think that being unemotional means being more spiritual or Spirit-controlled, Scripture clearly shows that Jesus exercised a healthy amount of emotion and self-control. Here are 10 emotions Jesus expressed so you can see if your feelings and responses line up with His.

We know that He is “near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit” (Ps. 34:18). We can cast all our anxieties on Him because we are assured that He cares for us (1 Peter 5:7).

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Standing in the Truth of God as broken and emotional people, remembering that God made our emotions and gives us a time to mourn and laugh. Recognizing them and submitting them one by one to Christ is the moving forward in a way that honors God.

Our Faith and truly believing what the Bible says is what will transform our thought process and therefore help to keep our feelings in check and standing firm in our faith.

Your rest is coming. Sooner than you know you will receive your “imperishable, undefiled, and unfading inheritance” (1 Peter 1:4). And when it comes you will understand why your faith was more precious than gold (1 Peter 1:7). This is where Peter wants your hope to fully rest.

Desiring God

“Even difficult emotions reflect reality and can move us to a better place. Feelings mirror the pain and suffering in our lives. Imagine losing a close friend or a beloved family member and feeling no grief or loss. What if you hurt someone you love but felt no remorse or shame? Imagine getting fired or failing a test and feeling no disappointment. It might sound nice to do without these painful feelings, but none of us can deny that emotions give meaning and depth to our lives. Often the emotions we most wish we could avoid propel us in a new and better direction. Without emotions, life would be a colorless canvas, boring and bland.” – Crossway

Emotions are a good and gracious gift to every man and woman created in the image of God. We just need to deal with them and respond to them in a healthy, biblical way to honor God.

Here are more articles related to this topic.

Daily Affirmations of God’s Love

What is Scripture Writing and How to Get Started

Do Not Be Afraid Scripture Writing

Ways to Deal With Fear

Before you leave check out my FREE printable Prayer Journal

More than Blessed,

Starla

The Bible Never Ignores Our Feelings

Pin this for later!

does bible say feelings, bible verses on feelings, do not be led by emotions, emotional healing
What does the bible say about our feelings, What does the bible say about emotions, faith over fear, bible verses on emotions

You will love these posts as well!

Spread the love

35 Comments

1. Tai East

March 6, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Starla, this was a great reminder to let go of self and to fully trust and submit to THE LORD. The truth is sometimes our feelings will lead us astray. Thank GOD for the protection and guidance of THE HOLY SPIRIT. Thank you for sharing this! I'm visiting from Grace & Truth Linkup and so glad I did! Infinite blessing to you, Love! 🙂

2. Jennifer

March 6, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Exactly right, Starla! This is something I have to continuously remind myself of. Feelings are the servant, not the master. Thank you for sharing!

3. Miriam Jones Bradley

March 6, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Amen! "Right feelings follow right actions," is a good rule of thumb too! Thank you for this clear and timely reminder!

4. Dr. Bengtson

March 6, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Starla, as a Christian neuropsychologist, I often teach that our feelings are just the consequence of our beliefs. You are so right that they are not the truth. When we believe the lies the enemy whispers to us, our feelings follow suit. When we believe God's truth, our feelings also follow suit. So whose voice are we going to listen to? Great post.

5. Michele Morin

March 6, 2015 at 1:49 pm

I heard someone say a long time ago: "What would you do to a friend who lied to you as often as your feelings have."
    I've never forgotten that good counsel. Truth is from God.

6. Terri Lynn Grothe

March 6, 2015 at 2:18 pm

i loved this!!! I love how you put the words together.

7. Clare Speer

March 6, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Wow – great article on how we should NOT be guided by our own feelings (which I don't know how many times a day I do unfortunately) but on God! This was good – truly enjoyed it!

8. Suzanne

March 6, 2015 at 3:21 pm

It's so true, our feelings only get us into trouble. It's such a hard thing, but I'm learning to think before I react. Most importantly I started praying before I do anything and things seem to be so much better in my life because of it.

9. Nikki Frank-Hamilton

March 6, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Great reminder. We get so caught up in this life that it is easy to forget to look to God for confirmation. When I get upset or overwhelmed I like to get quiet for a bit, before expressing those feelings. Pray, meditate on them, let them marinate, then decide whether to voice them. It works. It doesn't mean I don't have times where the words are crawling over my skin, but it means that I don't lash out in anger, or hurt. Thanks for the bible verses to go with this situation. It will help.

10. Meredith Elizabeth

March 6, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Our feelings are vulnerable to the work of the Enemy. That is why God warns us not to operate out of our emotions (tainted by the Devil) and to meditate on his words/will/wisdom and act from there. At some point, the things we do should be mostly divorced of our feelings to be in true submission to what God calls us to do. Good post… you got me thinking! Blessings~

11. Dawn

March 6, 2015 at 6:22 pm

This is so true! We can't help our feelings, but we can choose what to dwell on. When we turn our focus to the truths of the the Word, and ask for help from God, then we can change the way we react to those feelings. Thank you for sharing these encouraging words.

12. Elizabeth Lund

March 6, 2015 at 6:22 pm

This is so true. I always like to say that we are not our feelings. I can feel angry but that does not make me an angry person. I can feel depressed, but that does not make me a depressed person. Thank you for the reminder. Found you at Inspired Bloggers.

13. Crystal

March 6, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Such sound advice. Emotions certainly have the ability of changing our decisions.

14. bluecottonmemory

March 6, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Sometimes I "feel" like the battlefield of my mind is based in "feelings" – of hurt, frustration, saddness – and I have to give those feelings over to God. There are days I "feel" insignificant – but God has told me, that to Him, I am not insignificant – I am His beloved daughter. Wise post:)

15. Kim Smith

March 6, 2015 at 9:11 pm

That is a nice piece you've written. Our feelings cannot rule our actions nor should they.

16. Misty

March 6, 2015 at 10:39 pm

What a great post and gentle reminder. Thank you got sharing!

17. Megan Adams

March 6, 2015 at 10:40 pm

As I started reading your post I instantly thought of Philippians 4! I always go back to that verse whenever I start to feel overwhelmed emotionally. Thank you for calling out the "Do what feels right" mentality. Sometimes God calls us to step out and do things even when we're scared. We can't be guided by our emotions. Great post!

18. Starla J.

March 8, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Thank you, Tai! Love your name.

19. Starla J.

March 8, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Thank you Dr Bengtson!

20. Starla J.

March 8, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Thank you for stopping by!

21. Starla J.

March 8, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Thank you for your thoughts Meredith!

22. Heather @ My Overflowing Cup

March 9, 2015 at 1:28 am

There is so much wisdom in this post, Starla!

It makes me think of LOVE. Love is a feeling, but it is also a choice. Sometimes loving others comes naturally and other times, we love out of obedience to God's call on our lives. Feelings and emotions can be a wonderful thing, but often we need to overcome them with obedience when they threaten to lead us down the wrong path.

Thanks for sharing this important reminder that we need to trust God Word over our own feelings.

23. Kaylene Yoder

March 9, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Starla, I would love to feature this post at the next Grace & Truth this Friday. Could you please add a link back? Thanks dear! Love you!

24. Hope Anchors the Soul

March 10, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Thank you for this wonderful post full of God's Truth, Starla! Feelings can be such a wonderful thing, or the worst curse. I love how you point us back to scripture and what it has to say about being ruled by our feelings. I am blessed by this gentle reminder (so glad I was prompted by the Spirit to click this blog post link via Grace & Truth linkup)!

25. Truth Teller

March 11, 2015 at 2:53 pm

I an confident that anyone that believes a bit of the religious nonsense is either deluded, a liar, or a con artist. There isn't an iota of proof for any of it. It's only feelings and wishful thinking.

26. Starla J.

March 11, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Thanking you for taking the time to ready post and comment. I'm convinced opposite of what you are saying. In all respect, I pray for you .

27. Lynnae McCoy

March 11, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Amen! A speaker at our teen ministry Sunday night illustrated it this way. There is a train. The engine is facts (the Word). The cargo car is our faith. Our faith follows the facts. Finally, the caboose is our feelings, which follows our faith and the facts. When we try to let the caboose (our feelings) lead, the train goes off the rails. 🙂

28. Dawn

March 14, 2015 at 12:03 am

Starla,

This is a key concept in the wholesome way we respond to things in our life, isn't it? Understanding that our feelings are merely indicators of something we need to be aware of. When I tend to overreact, because my feelings are being pushed and my boundaries are being intruded upon,I know that I need to pause… ( I don't always do it and then I have to work on the skill of repentance) and let God lead me. I need to wait for that still small voice.
    I wish I always considered that, though, when the feelings were strong and overwhelming.
    Thanks for the scriptures to meditate on! 🙂
    Blessings,
    Dawn

29. Marva | sunSPARKLEshine

February 14, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Thanks for sharing this with the Uplift FB group, Starla. It's such a great reminder that we can't rely on our feelings alone. On our own we could be so easily led astray but God's word provides the wise perspective we need.